While traveling, there are several precautions one should take to ensure that you don’t bring home bed bugs. It is no surprise that traveling is one of the easiest ways to bring the unwelcome pests into your home. These tips will help you significantly minimize your risk of becoming a victim of bed bugs while traveling. Of course, be sure to check out our line of travel products to protect yourself while you travel.
- Before departing on your trip, it is recommended to spray your luggage with our easy to use bed bug luggage spray to help deter bed bugs from entering your luggage during your travels.
- Upon checking into your hotel room, remove the bed sheets and thoroughly check the mattress with a flashlight. Pay particular attention to the mattress seams, within the box spring and behind the headboard. Look out for signs of bed bug fecal matter, which will look like tiny black spots (similar in appearance to black magic marker dots). This is the number one way to detect the presence of bed bugs.
- After checking the bed, check the bedside table and within all drawers for fecal matter and bug skins, which are translucent and brown in color. It is not uncommon for live bugs to be present in the case of serious infestations.
- Always put your suitcase on an elevated luggage stand, placed in the middle of the room. Never place clothing or luggage directly on the floor or on the bed. It is also highly recommended to place your luggage in one of our BugZip luggage protectors to ensure that bed bugs can not access your belongings.
- If you happen to notice that white powder is present within drawers, the closet or around floorboards, it is likely that the room has already been treated for bed bugs.
- In the event that bed bugs are detected, hotel management should be contacted immediately. It is advisable to collect your belongings and leave the room promptly. If hotel management offers you a new room, be sure not to accept a room adjacent to the infested room, as it is possible that bed bugs may exist there as well. Make sure to repeat all of the these steps upon settling into your new room.
- Upon checking out, even if signs of bed bugs were not present, inspect all of your belongings thoroughly. Placing your luggage and any other belongings in a PackTite portable heating unit will eradicate any bed bugs that may have snuck into your luggage.